Learn about how to care for wig and how to wash a wig and hair piece. If you use a hair wig then caring for wig becomes important.
- Cleaning is a major step for the maintenance of wig/hair piece .It includes following steps.
- First, fill a small hand sink or a large-sized bowl with approximately 2 quarts of cool water. Never use hot water! (Hot water will remove the restyled curl pattern that is built into a wig or hairpiece.)
- Add approximately 2 ounces of synthetic hair cleanser to the cool water, swish around to mix, then you are ready to place the hairpiece or wig into the solution. Allow soaking for 5 to 10 mins, and then swishing the piece around in the soapy solution for a minute. Note: If your wig has make-up build-up along the front hairline use an old toothbrush and hand soap to remove this.
- After washing, discard the soapy water. Rinse well. Fill-up with clean cool water; sometimes you may want to rinse twice. Shake out excess water.
- Lay the hairpiece on a towel to air-dry naturally.
- Do not brush wig while wet.
- Do not use a hairdryer on wig. As this kind of heat can damage fiber hair! If you have a wig, it is recommended that you place it on a wire head form so it dries in its natural round head shape. (Air can pass through a wire form air cannot pass through a Styrofoam head form.)
Duration of washing a wig
Washing is an important step in maintenance but depends on various factors like the individual wearer, the type of styling products used or the environment in which the wig or hairpiece is worn. So if the wig/hair piece is worn daily for 10 to 12 hour a day, wash it once every 10 to 14 days. But otherwise you, personally, will be the judge of when it needs to be cleaned.
A special synthetic fiber hair conditioner is recommended: It conveniently sprays onto your wig or hairpiece. This conditioner should be used lightly after each washing as well (for longer hairpieces, use each time your hairpiece is worn.)